The RED MED Hybrid Course has been meticulously designed to arm existing healthcare professionals with the necessary knowledge framework and hands-on experience required for successful RED MED operations. This programme ensures a safe and seamless integration into various Rescue, Expedition, and Disaster Management teams.
Ideal for healthcare professionals currently operating within, or aspiring to engage with, Rescue, Expedition, and Disaster Response Teams functioning within challenging wilderness and austere environments.
This course encapsulates a thorough exploration of fundamental concepts including risk management, personal preparation, and operational planning. Additionally, it conducts an in-depth review of specific illnesses and injuries commonly encountered in remote and austere settings.
Our programme holds the endorsement of the UK CPD Certification Service, guaranteeing the accrual of continuing professional development (CPD) credits. Furthermore, it’s recognised for contributing towards Fellowship in the Academy of Wilderness Medicine (FAWM) credits through the esteemed Wilderness Medical Society.
Delivered through a pre-course remote review of didactic material, on-site lectures, tabletop exercises, and real-world scenarios in context – while journeying through the Himalayas – the course includes:
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Risk Management
- Operational Planning & Personal Preparation
- Helicopter Safety
- Helicopter Short Haul
- Communications & Telemedicine
- Equipment Selection
- Safety & Security
- Hierarchy of Rescue
- Search & Rescue Operations
- Infectious Disease
- Disaster Response
- Point of Care Ultrasound (POCUS)
- Active Shooter Incidents
- Altitude Illness, Bites and Stings, Cold Injury, Bleeding Control, Heat Illness
- Crush Injury, Suspension Syndrome
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will:
- Acquire the latest practical, hands-on wilderness medical skills for patient assessment, stabilisation, and evacuation.
- Attain essential preparatory and safety insights to seamlessly integrate and operate within rescue, expedition, or disaster response teams.
- Put acquired skills into practice through live scenarios.
- Current WMS FAWM candidates are eligible to receive FAWM credits.
- Earn a total of 47 continuing professional development (CPD) credits.
- Earn 47.75 AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s).
- For an additional CME certification fee of $75, participants can obtain 47.75 AMA PRA Category 1 credit(s).
Duration: 21 days
Dates: October 19th – November 8th, 2023 (participants arrive on October 19th and depart on November 8th).
- Climbing a > 6,000m mountain.
- Mount Everest Base Camp trek.
- Glacier school, rock and ice climbing training.
- Contextualised remote medicine and operations training.
- Engaging team with skills stations, discussions, and scenario-based exercises.
- Immersion in the vibrant culture of Kathmandu.
- RED MED Course Certificate
- WMS Fellow of the Academy of Wilderness Medicine (FAWM) credits*
- 47 Continuing Professional Development (CPD) credits
- RED MED Uniform Patch
- RED MED Manual
- Airport Transfers
- 20 Nights Lodging, Guiding, Meals, Manual, and Flights (as per itinerary)
All Flights to Nepal, airport taxes, travel insurance, gratuities, and alcoholic beverages. Additionally, extra travel days or global rescue insurance are not included.
Accommodation & Additional Single Supplement Costs
Throughout the course, shared accommodation will be provided due to limited hotel space in remote areas. This approach enhances group dynamics and fosters a shared experience. If you desire a single room for the entire trip, kindly notify us, and we’ll make every effort to accommodate your request. The additional charge for a single supplement is $250.
Participants should ensure appropriate vaccinations (see guidelines at http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/guatemala.htm) and consider Malaria prophylaxis.
All participants must possess medical and evacuation insurance covering all activities for the entire course duration.
For the complete itinerary, vaccination guidance, and insurance details, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Embrace the RED MED Online Course today and elevate your expertise anytime, anywhere!